Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Somewhere in there

My kids have it so easy, or so I think. They have a home, two actually, and their basic needs are met in both households. They have a few extras that I never had as a child. Technology being what it is today, if it can be afforded, can provide hours of fun without ever stepping outside. My kids are not allowed to use the word "bored" in the house. After applying my tried and true method of throwing out thousands of dollars in toys because someone mentioned how bored they were, they quickly stopped saying it. I figure if you are truly bored then you can't possibly need the things in your room and at our expense, belongings have been thrown out much to the kids horror. I smile all the way to the trash can.

As a kid myself, I had nothing. I made my own toy dolls out of scraps of fabric my mother would allow me to have, at much sacrifice to her. I remember using lids as dishes and bottle caps as cups. I begged to play outside whereas now I have to kick my kids out to get some fresh air. I cherished a box of Crayola crayons that my father bought me when I turned 9. Paper was hard to come by and I would use whatever scraps I could get my hands on. I had no time to be bored. My brain worked overtime for things I could make or keep myself entertained with. One thing was clear to me even at that age, my family was poor and it sucked!

I have never asked my kids what they perceive our status to be; poor, rich or in between. An understanding has most recently started to emerge from the kids perspective though. They can now understand that money doesn't really grow on trees or come from my debit card like magic. They "grin and bear it" at holidays when they realize that no, mom (and my J) didn't get them what they wanted most. Above all, the lack of money doesn't stop their love from being offered in hugs, kisses and smiles.

I must have done something right in another life to deserve that.

No comments:

Post a Comment